2018 South Broughton Explorer is a four-day sea kayaking trip that explores the clusters of islands that make up the southern portion of the Broughton Archipelago. Our kayaking runs along the edge of waters where both Humpback whales and Orca whales travel and play. Each day, we venture through remote passages and clusters of islets rich in marine life and perfect for a day of whale watching and sea kayak adventures.
This trip highlights a visit to a native site with visible remains of a past culture and an opportunity to see a variety of land based ani
Our adventure travel trips start at a permanent basecamp. We also have the option of using other camps hidden amongst the small islands of the South Broughton Marine Park and make the trip nomadic.
Family Rates: start @ CAD$4200
Trip Deposit: CAD $250 per person
TRIP DEPARTURE DATES
Trip Days: Monday – Thursday
JUNE 12, 19, 26
JULY 3, 10, 17, 24, 31
AUGUST 7, 14, 21, 28
SEPTEMBER 4, 11, 18
Arrival Day: Arrival in Port McNeill is usually late in the day because of the travel distance or the plane connections to Comox Valley Airport. Pre-trip meeting at our shop at Suite B 455 Pioneer Drive. Port McNeill @ 7:30 pm the evening before your departure date. The meeting is scheduled to introduce you to your guides, check your gear, fit PFD, fit a paddle and answer any questions you might have about the trip. We will familiarize you with a double sea kayak and review our route on the marine chart of the area.
Note: Discovery Expeditions reserve the right to alter the itinerary of this trip due to weather, tides or unexpected circumstances.
DAY 1: CRUISE TO SOUTH BROUGHTON – BLACKFISH BASECAMP
- Meet at 8:30 am at the Tourist Information Centre in Port McNeill, BC
- Morning transport (we stop for whales) to our first camp in the SouthernBroughton.
- Explore by sea kayak clusters of small islands, view wildlife and a variety of marine mammals during the morning, afternoon and early evening hours.
- Sunset with a beach fire.
DAY 2: SOUTH BROUGHTON – ISLAND CAMP
- A morning marine biology exploration during the low tide.
- A paddling day spent island hopping and quietly exploring small passages on our way to another camp for the night.
- Viewing and photo time in an area with wildlife rookeries and local habitats.
- Afternoon stroll in the unique coastal rainforest. View flora and fauna.
- A time put aside for a little fishing and beach combing.
DAY 3: SOUTH BROUGHTON – ISLAND CAMP
- Paddle along the rugged coastline at the entrance to the waters of Knight Inlet.
- Listen to the shoreline, alive with the sounds of kingfishers, eagles, and myriad sea birds.
- Paddle into known Humpback Whale sighting and viewing areas.Explore the rustic islets of Knight Inlet and the entrance to Blackfish Sound.
DAY 4: SOUTH BROUGHTON – BLACKFISH BASECAMP
- Morning packing then a nice morning paddle to circumnavigate small islets and islands near camp.
- Observe harbour seals, otters and Dalls’ porpoise in this area.
- After a relaxing lunch we will load our shuttle boat to begin our voyage back to Port McNeill, arriving late afternoon (3:00 pm)