2018 North Broughton Explorer is a six-day sea kayak adventure that takes you on a journey through the entire length of the Broughton Marine Park. This adventure is a classic that takes in heaps of wildlife sightings, a taste of native culture and a blend of sheltered and exposed water sea kayaking.
Highlights include three days of camping/sea kayaking through a maze of island and islets featuring spontaneous wildlife encounters. And three days of sea kayaking open waters featuring time spent experiencing whales, sea lions and a large variety of marine mammals on route to established camping sites. You will experience the sounds of whales from your tent site. Summer days end with a colorful sunset that lasts for over an hour.
ThThese trips take in the true wilderness areas of the Broughton Marine Park. And offer you six days to build your sea kayak skills in waters full of active wildlife.
Per Person: includes support boat
CAD$1450 USD $1025 EURO $970
Group Rates: 4 People
starts @ CAD$5200 USD $3840 EURO $3625
Trip Deposit: CAD$250 per person
TRIP DEPARTURE DATES
Trip Days: Sunday – Friday
Arrival Day: Arrival in Port McNeill is usually late in the day because of the travel distance or the plane connections to Comox Valley Airport. Your guides will meet you at our shop at Suite B 455 Pioneer Drive. Port McNeill @7:30 pm the evening before your departure date. The meeting is scheduled to introduce you to your guides and do a gear check, fit a PFD, try a paddle and familiarize you with a sea kayak. We will also go over the route we will taking on the marine chart of the area.
Note: This Itinerary will be done in reverse if accommodations are not available on the first night.
DAY 1: CRUISE/SHUTTLE – EXPLORE ARCHIPELAGO OF ISLANDS
- Meet at 8:30 am out front of the Tourist Information Centre Port McNeill, BC
- AM Cruise to Paddlers Inn/Blackfish Camp. Travel through active waters of Humpback Whales and Resident Orcas. (approx. 2 hr)
- Book into Float house/Blackfish Basecamp sea kayak from mid morn until early evening.
- Salmon Dinner, a short walk before dinner and an early night for travelers.
DAY 2: HEART OF THE NORTH BROUGHTON
- A traveling day in AM to our first campsite along a sheltered route with defined passages.
- Viewing and photo time in an area with wildlife rookeries and local habitats.
- An afternoon stroll in the unique coastal rainforest. View flora and fauna.
- Pasta and seafood for dinner. Small beach fire to end a nice day.
DAY 3: HEART OF NORTH BROUGHTON
- A traveling day in AM move to a feature camp for sunsets.
- PM explore the rustic islets and scenic passages with visible marine life.
- Listen to a shoreline, alive with sounds of kingfishers, eagles, and myriad seabirds.
- Mexican night for dinner. Small beach fire to end the day.
DAY 4: HEART OF BROUGHTON
- Layover day with a morning paddle to visit a nearby seal rookery.
- Lunch on an islet and time to explore by land.
- Paddle a route back to camp where the sea lions frequent.
- Pasta dinner. A night for star gazing.
DAY 5: ENTRANCE KNIGHT INLET – BLACKFISH SOUND
- Our first chance to paddle in the same waters as Humpback Whales and abundant bird life.
- Explore the shoreline and coves of the Owl Island Group.
- Navigate the waters of the mouth of Knight Inlet and its many rustic islets.
DAY 6: AM SEA KAYAKING – PM CRUISE BLACKFISH SOUND
- AM pack up gear, sea kayak amongst small islets and islands.
- Visit seal rookery and waters frequent by local wildlife.
- After a relaxing lunch we will load our shuttle boat and begin our voyage (we stop for whales) back to Port McNeill, arriving late afternoon 2-3:00 pm)